Alaska Wildlife Viewing Spots
Alaska’s amazing wildlife is one of our most unique features, and seeing bears, moose, eagles, whales, sea lions, and more may well be the highlight of your vacation. Of course, these creatures have their own schedules and routines, so you’re never guaranteed to see them. But we’ve worked with wildlife biologists and naturalists to pull together a list of the most predictable wildlife-viewing spots around the state.
Here are some rules to follow when you get there:
- Dawn and dusk are the best times to see most wildlife.
- Move slowly and quietly: most creatures will hear or smell you before you see them, but if you stay still, they may return. The exception is if you’re in bear territory—then you want to make noise.
- Bring a 200mm lens or longer to photograph these creatures.
- Take advantage of wildlife-viewing festivals.
- Always observe proper wildlife-viewing etiquette.