Anchorage Whale Watching Tours
There are two towns within a short car, bus, or train ride from Anchorage where you can get on the water to look for whales. JUMP TO LIST OF TOURS
Tours from Whittier
- What's it Like? From Whittier, you'll be cruising the western side of Prince William Sound. The highlight of these trips are the glaciers. Prince William Sound has the highest concentration of tidewater glaciers anywhere.
- What Whales Could You See? May - September, Humpback whales are most common. You may also see Orcas or Minke Whales.
- Proximity to Anchorage: The drive is just under 90 minutes. You'll drive through the Whittier Tunnel, so be sure to reference the schedule. Or, you can ride the Alaska Railroad’s Glacier Discovery Train (approx 2 hours). The round-trip schedule from Anchorage allows for enough time to take one of the popular day cruises before returning Anchorage. You can also schedule a bus transit through the day cruise company.
Tours from Seward
- What's it Like? From Seward, you'll be cruising in Resurrection Bay and Kenai Fjords National Park. Whales are more commonly seen on the cruises that traverse the open water of the Gulf of Alaska.
- What Whales Could You See? May - September you might see Humpbacks (the most common), Orcas, Minke, and Fin Whales. If you visit in March - May, you may catch the spring Gray Whale Migration as they travel north from Baja.
- Proximity to Anchorage: The drive from Seward to Anchorage is a little over 2 hours, or you can ride the Alaska Railroad’s Coastal Classic Train (4 hours). The round-trip schedule from Anchorage allows for enough time to cruise before returning Anchorage. The Park Connection Motorcoach offers bus transportation to Seward.
Whale Watching Tours
Intimate catamaran cruises into Kenai Fjords National Park from Seward for just 22 passengers, or up to 30 on private charters. Cruise through Resurrection Bay, keeping an eye out for humpback whales, orca whales (killer whales), puffins, Steller sea lions, Dall’s porpoise, harbor seals, and a large variety of bird species. Then make your way into the national park, and stop at the face of a tidewater glacier. You’ll enjoy a delicious lunch ...more
Hop on board the all-season Missing Lynx and Lost Lynx, the vessels bound for whatever Seward Ocean Excursion suits your fancy. Want to whale watch, see glaciers, go bird watching or just check out hidden coves? Captains Bixler and Krystin McClure will help your small group plan an outing catered to your preferences. No matter the season, you can always catch some excitement in Resurrection Bay!
Get up close to the Alaskan glaciers and wildlife you came to experience by taking a cruise into Kenai Fjords National Park on a custom-built catamaran out of Seward. The difference from other cruises, is that you’ll then get off the boat and into a kayak, paddle around icebergs, and watch for wildlife from your own vessel.
Resurrection Bay and Kenai Fjords are great places to see wildlife and glaciers. And Major Marine’s vessels, which have cozy heated cabins and an outdoor viewing area, can take you out to see both. This family-owned tour operator has gone above and beyond to give guests an amazing day on the water since 1990.
This veteran tour operator runs a a fleet of fast, modern boats in Resurrection Bay and Kenai Fjords National Park. You’ll visit tidewater glaciers as you watch for puffins, sea otters, Dall’s porpoises, sea lions, and more. Some tours are designed to please birders or shutterbugs, while others are perfect for families.
Whittier View All
Phillips 26 Glacier Cruise, out of Whittier, will take you to 26 different glaciers in just 5.5 hours. Enjoy cozy comforts on the high-speed catamaran and wander its outdoor decks as you come within 300 feet of massive tidewater glaciers. In addition to glaciers, the captain will be on the lookout for wildlife like otters, whales, harbor seals, and marine birds. The trip takes place in the afternoon, and a hot lunch is included in your tour. ...more
Lazy Otter offers classic tours, but this is a water taxi, so they’ll also take you anywhere you want to go within Price William Sound — or just customize a tour to whatever you want to see. Maybe that’s glaciers, or whales, — or maybe it’s quiet time on a secluded beach. Lazy Otter can also help facilitate taking you and your family on a camping trip. You’re not held to any strict schedule, either: if, on a day tour, you can spend more time in one ...more