If you don’t want to rent a car during your visit to Alaska—or would just like to spend more time watching the roadside scenery, rather than the road—this deluxe motorcoach service makes it easy to connect the dots between Alaska's most popular destinations, including Denali and Kenai Fjords National Park.
Operated by locals since 1998, Park Connection uses deluxe motorcoaches with comfortable seating, USB and power ports to charge phone or other devices, big picture windows, plenty of leg room—and plenty of room for your gear, too (you can bring two checked bags and one carry-on). Regular summer service includes twice-daily service between Anchorage and Denali Park or Seward (Kenai Fjords National Park), as well as same-day connecting service between Denali Park, Talkeetna, Anchorage, and Seward. In fact, Park Connection is the only service to provide a daily scheduled connection between Seward and Denali in one day. Another route, between Anchorage and Whittier, is available on cruise ship arrival and departure days.
Enjoy the Scenery
There’s also a good PA system so you can hear as your knowledgeable driver points out the highlights of the stunning scenery along the way: On trips south to Whittier and Seward, you can see the mountains and wildlife of the National Scenic Byway along Turnagain Arm— often including Dall sheep along the cliffs and Beluga whales in the water. Closer to Seward, you’ll also pass by Trail Lake, the tiny town of Moose Pass and Kenai Lake, known for its bright blue color.
Heading north from Anchorage to Talkeetna, and Denali, you’ll get views of the Chugach Mountains, Talkeetna Mountains, glacially fed rivers, the Matanuska Susitna valley—and, on clear days, even Mt. McKinley, as well as the rest of the Alaska Range.
The bonus: Park Connection offers both a convenient schedule and affordable rates—including 50 percent off rates for kids under the age of 12. They also offer packages that combine motorcoach service with the Alaska Railroad. Some routes to choose from:
- Park to Park Service: This route goes between Denali and Seward, with stops in Talkeetna and Anchorage along the way.
- Seward Express: This route just goes between Anchorage and Seward—and you can do round trip in a day, with plenty of time in between to do a boat cruise or see the sights in Seward.
- The Denali Express: This service between Anchorage and Denali would be too long of a trip to do round-trip in one day, but it leaves Anchorage early enough so you have all afternoon to spend in Denali once you arrive. This trip also connects with buses traveling into Denali Park for guests staying at Denali Kantishna lodges like the Kantishna Roadhouse, Camp Denali or North Face Lodge.
- Whittier Cruise Transfer: Service between Anchorage and Whittier, on cruise ship days. It’s timed so that you can connect with coaches from Denali Park or Talkeetna, which means you can travel between Denali Park and Whittier in the same day, in either direction.
- Seward Cruise Transfer: Service between Seward and Anchorage, on designated cruise ships days. It’s a more convenient schedule for cruise ship passengers arriving or departing, but the same rate as the Park-to-Park service.
2022 Southbound Schedule
|Service & Dates of Operation||Denali-Seward Park to Park (5/13 - 9/16)||Denali Express (6/4-9/11)||Seward Express (5/13 - 9/16)|
|Depart Denali Park||7:00am||1:45pm||n/a|
|Arrive Talkeetna AK Lodge||10:45am||5:30pm||n/a|
|Depart Talkeetna AK Lodge||11:00am||5:45pm||n/a|
2022 Northbound Schedule
|Service & Dates of Operation||Seward-Denali Park to Park (5/12-9/15)||Denali Express (6/4-9/11)||Seward Express (5/13-9/16)|
|Arrive Talkeetna AK Lodge||5:30pm||9:00am||n/a|
|Depart Talkeetna AK Lodge||5:45pm||9:15am||n/a|
Arrive Denali Park
2022 Whittier Schedule (Cruise Ship Days Only)
Child rates are half-off adult rates and apply to infants and children 11 and under.