Photo Credit: Debbie Wik
|Anchorage to Hope||2|
|Anchorage to Cooper Landing Area||2|
|Anchorage to Kenai / Soldotna||3|
|Anchorage to Seward||2.5 - 3||4||3|
|Anchorage to Homer||5 - 6||6||1|
How Long to Spend
2 - 4 nights
Close to Anchorage and endowed with abundant recreational opportunities, central Kenai is Alaska's Playground. Two highways, numerous trails, and several major rivers slice through the spine of the Kenai Mountains. People come here for:
- Hiking. This is a hiker's paradise—Alaska's most developed trails to gem-colored mountain lakes, salmon-filled rivers and wildflower meadows.
- Salmon and Halibut Fishing. The Kenai and Russian Rivers are famous for record-setting salmon; you can go with professional guides or on your own. And, the waters of the Cook Inlet and Kachemak Bay are the best spots to reel in halibut. Staying a few days? Book into a Fishing Lodge.
- Rafting. The Kenai River and Sixmile River are both big spots for either scenic floats or hold-on-tight rides through the rapids.
- Canoeing. Inside the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, you'll find a canoe-trail system with routes of varying challenge levels—most pretty easy for anyone with basic canoeing skills.
- Glacier and Wildlife Cruises. Seward is a main port for major day cruises into Resurrection Bay and the Kenai Fjords National Park.
- Bear viewing. The Kenai Peninsula serves as the perfect jumping off point for bear viewing activities in Katmai National Park and beyond.
- Flightseeing. Take off from Seward, Moose Pass, Soldotna, or Homer. Soar over the impressive icefields of the Kenai Peninsula.
- Glacier Tours. Studded with glaciers and massive icefields, the Kenai Peninsula offers many opportunities to see these impressive rivers of ice.
Towns Of The Kenai Peninsula
Anchor Point | Cooper Landing | Homer | Hope | Kasilof | Kenai / Soldotna | Moose Pass | Nikiski | Ninilchik | Seldovia | Seward
Drive. The towns of the Kenai are a straight shot from Anchorage; both Seward and Cooper Landing, two major towns, are just 2.5 hours south. Homer is 4.5 hours. Our Seward Highway and Sterling Highway road guides show you the highlights of the drive.
Fly. Direct flights from Anchorage to Homer and Kenai / Soldotna in under an hour.