Anchorage is Alaska’s largest urban center—it features all the big-city amenities you’d expect, and it’s the perfect home base for exploring Alaska. Spread out in dramatic fashion between the Chugach Mountains and the shores of the Cook Inlet, Anchorage is home to 57 museums, 17 libraries, 4 colleges, and over 600 restaurants and 110 bars. With plenty of rental cars and good public transportation, getting around is easy. You can also walk the 110 miles (175km) of trails that connect parks and forests with businesses and recreation centers. All it takes is a stroll around the block to discover numerous opportunities for dining, cultural activities, fishing, wildlife viewing, biking, skiing, and hiking.
You'll have all of Alaska at your fingertips while you stay in Anchorage. Watch a few video previews or browse audio guides to learn about some of the exciting things you can do in and around Anchorage. The city’s convenient location to all things Alaska is why you want to spend a couple days before or after your convention to get a taste for what’s here.
2 Hours or Less
- Take the Downtown Anchorage Walking Tour.
- Explore Anchorage's largest museum.
- Discover Alaska’s rich cultural history at the Alaska Native Heritage Center.
- Learn about bygone eras with the Mayors Walk Audio Tour.
- See rainforests and salmon streams on an ATV.
- Visit the Alaska Aviation Museum.
- See Alaska’s animals at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.
- Join Alpine Air Alaska for helicopter flightseeing and dog-mushing tours.
- Pan for gold at Crow Creek Mine.
- Hike Flattop, Alaska's most-climbed mountain.
- See Denali (Mt. McKinley) from the air, or fish a remote river with Rust's Flying Service.
- Take a day cruise in the Kenai Fjords National Park or Prince William Sound