Welcome to Ketchikan. Here is a walking tour created by Experience Ketchikan.
Walking Tour Points
Built in 1902, St. John’s is the oldest church building standing in Ketchikan. The sanctuary, finished with cedar from a Saxman mill, stood on pilings along the water; fill moved the shore hundreds of feet back. St. John’s has a gift shop. The Yates Building was built as a hospital in 1904 and later housed Alaska Sportsman magazine.
Founded in 1976 as a part-time, 10-watt community station, KRBD is now a 24-hour, Alaska-style mix of volunteers’ music shows and programs from NPR and PRl. Repeaters out of town and on Prince of Wales Island reach most of southern Southeast.The building was a Presbyterian Church, then a contractor’s shop.
In the museum are artifacts,text and photos telling of Alaska’s spirited First City as a Native fish camp, mining hub, salmon canning capital, fishing port and timber town. The Centennial Building commemorates the purchase of Alaska from Russia in 1867. In front is the Raven Stealing the Sun pole, carved by Dempsey Bob and raised in 1983.
In the town that boasts of being the Alaskan salmon capital of the world, here’s where you can see the salmon in action — hundreds of thousands come through every summer. This spot, right next the library and at the end of Creek Street, offers a prime view of the crowds of salmon on their way to spawn.
Learn about the life cycle of salmon at this non-profit hatchery, where thousands of fish are cultivated and tagged annually before being released into area lakes, rivers and streams. You can watch (and even feed) little ones swimming against the current.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this collection of 19th century totem poles is the biggest in the world. Salvaged from abandoned Haida and Tlingit villages, some are as old as 160 years — no small feat, since totem poles usually deteriorate in less than a century. You can take a quick, free tour, or check out the current exhibits of contemporary Tlingit art.
K.l.C. is a federally recognized tribal government organized in 1939 under terms of the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934. K.l.C. is involved in health, education and culture issues for Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian people, along with other Alaska Natives. Northwest Coast-style eagle and raven panels outside the building were produced by Tlingit artist Ernie Smeltzer in 1983 with high school students.
Tlingit artist lsrael Shotridge in 2003 raised this replica of a pole that had stood in the early 1900s on Tongass Island, ancestral home of the Tongass Tribe of Tlingit Indians. Another Sun Raven replica, carved in 1939, still stands in Saxman. The carver gave this new pole to the Tongass Tribe and the community. It stands at the technical center for University of Alaska Southeast Ketchikan campus.
This wood plank street fronts the site of an early Ketchikan dock; in the 1890s it was a makeshift log raft. Thomas Street has been home to boat yards, carpenters, machine shops, bars and bordellos. The Stedman-Thomas area was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
The Ketchikan Creek mouth was a broad tidal flat that served until the 1920s as a baseball field; local teams and those from Southeast Alaska and Canada lined out a diamond at low tide. In 1 922, a small seaplane taxied onto the silt with pioneer pilot Roy Jones, first to fly from Seattle to Ketchikan non-stop.The Corps of Engineers dredged the creek mouth in the 1930s to create a harbor. Historic businesses and residences still face the… ...more
Founded by volunteers around 1900 to protect property and lives in a wooden city built on wood pilings. About 20 career personnel and dozens of volunteers staff two stations. The Main Street facility houses a mint 1927 Seagrave pumper nicknamed “Grandma.” K.F.D. sells patches and souvenir apparel.
This turreted Victorian was built in 1904 for H.Z. Burkhardt,a founder of Ketchikan Power Co., predecessor of Ketchikan Spruce Mill. It’s among our last examples of the Queen Anne style popular in the early 20th century. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.