Tenakee Springs Sample Itinerary
Mix relaxation with adventure in Tenakee, where you can kayak by day and soak in the therapeutic hot springs by night. Fish, watch whales, hike old logging roads, and check out the local art at the bakery. Stroll down Tenakee’s main thoroughfare (no cars allowed), and chat with locals while enjoying beautiful gardens and view of the Inlet.
The local lodge can help you arrange whale watching, bear viewing or fishing expeditions.
Many of the activities are easily self-guided:
- Bring a kayak and explore 26-mile Tenakee Inlet and the 13 rivers that drain into it.
- Learn about Tenakee’s history in a tour of its historic buildings: Tenakee Springs Market, the Shamrock Building, the Bathhouse and the Tenakee Museum.
- Take a long soak in the hot springs.
- Hike Tenakee Springs Trails west of town a few miles for beautiful views of coves, or east of town up to 8 miles, over a picturesque suspension bridge and beyond to find remnants of the old cannery.
- Bring a bike and explore miles of old logging roads (you could even get to Hoonah on them.)
- Look out toward the Inlet to watch for humpback whales, otter, and sea lions.
- Visit the Farmer’s Market and pick out some tasty syrups or fresh veggies.
- Visit the library or bus stop to find a good book.