Want an easy, convenient stay in Anchorage? Head south. This part of town gives you the most choices for shopping, dining and having fun, right near your hotel. It’s a quick drive from the airport, and puts you one step closer to popular out-of-town getaways, like Portage Valley, Girdwood, and the Kenai Peninsula.
A stay in South Anchorage offers stock-up shopping at Costco and Walmart Supercenter, along with stroll-and-shop variety at dozens of stores in the Dimond Center Mall.
Your nature fix is just minutes away at must-see spots like Kincaid Park, Potter Marsh, Flattop Mountain, and the Alaska Zoo; indoor recreation includes bowling, swimming, and ice skating at the Dimond Center Mall.
The nearby Seward Highway leads to all points south: Girdwood, Seward, Kenai and Homer.
Major retailers, discount warehouses, and locally-owned specialty stores provide options for any type of shopper, whether you’re gearing up for a fishing, stocking up on supplies for Bush Alaska, or looking for a special gift for someone back home.
- Dimond Center Mall – Over 100 stores, restaurants and services, all under one roof in the biggest mall in Alaska.
- Wal-Mart Supercenter – Forgot to pack it? Stock up on food, clothing and necessities here.
- Costco, Sam’s Club – These warehouse stores are both just a few minutes away, and are perfect for your bulk purchases.
- Sportsman's Warehouse – Outfit your group for your next Alaska adventure. Don't forget the bug spray.
- Over the Rainbow Toy Store - A children’s dream world of toys. High quality variety for children of all ages.
The Dimond Center Hotel is one of our favorite places to stay in South Anchorage. It’s got all the amenities you’re used to, plus true Alaskan flavor (it's owned by the Seldovia Native Association). That makes it popular with Alaskans and visitors from out of state. Even some Anchorage residents stay here for a relaxing "vacation" close to home.
There are several bed and breakfast options in South Anchorage and up into the foothills of the Chugach mountains, so if you like an intimate feel, be sure to check them out.
More people live in South Anchorage than any place else in town, so there are plenty of dining choices, from fast food to fine dining, with everything in between.
- Southside Bistro – Don't let the strip mall location fool you; this is a fine restaurant. Save room for the crème brulee or bread pudding.
- Firetap – Casual, hip, fresh. 36 Alaskan beers on tap, plus a varied wine selection. Enjoy with a stone oven-baked pizza.
- Kincaid Grill – An upscale experience in an understated locale. Their motto is "fine dining without the attitude."
- Suite 100 – Located right on Dimond with modern, relaxing décor, noted for its wine list. Service and food get mixed reviews.
- Arctic Roadrunner – (Old Seward Highway location). Classic Alaskan fast food. Where else can you eat a salmon or halibut burger outside by a creek full of salmon? Cash only, closed Sundays.
Outdoors or in, there’s plenty to see and do in South Anchorage.
- Take in the latest movie releases at the nearby Dimond Center 9 Cinemas.
- Join a friend at the Dimond Center for ice skating, bowling, swimming, or a workout at the Dimond Athletic Club.
- In summer play a midnight round at the Anchorage Golf Course (early birds can tee off at 4:30am).
- Splash and slide in Alaska’s only indoor water park, H2Oasis.
- Sports fans can go to bat at The Cage, check out hockey at the Subway Sports Center, or kick up their heels - or soccer balls - at the Dome.
- Stroll through the well-kept grounds of the Alaska Zoo, summer or winter. Visit polar, grizzly and black bears, snow leopards, tigers and more.
- Drive up to Flattop in the summer months for the most popular hike in Alaska. It’s got an incredible view of the city and a brag-worthy hike to the peak.
- Don’t miss the boardwalk at Potter Marsh, a protected wetland with amazing birding. You might even spot salmon, beaver, or moose.
- Bike from Kincaid Park along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, or explore the park for its extensive trails and wildlife viewing.
- In winter, visit Hilltop Ski Area for quick access to downhill skiing and snowboarding. Great for beginners.