The Old Red Light District
Like most seaport towns, Seward had ladies of the night from the town’s beginning. But in 1915, with the decision to start building the Alaska Railroad here, the town became concerned about the upcoming influx of construction workers. Seward decided to confine these ladies to a specific area, a place that became the town’s Red Light District. During prohibition it was also known for its moonshining, thus the nickname, Homebrew Alley.