Coming to Denali on the train or by motorcoach? Don’t sweat the transportation once you’re here—just hop on the Sheep Shuttle!
As amazing as Denali is, getting around the area can be tricky if you don’t arrive by car. You’ll find few, if any, rental cars in Denali, and only some of the larger hotels offer limited shuttle service, mostly to and from the park entrance. If you want to access to local restaurants, shops, and hotels beyond the immediate park entrance area, Sheep Shuttle is the way to go.
They also provide access to local trails. For example, if you want to through-hike the gorgeous, 10-mile-long Triple Lakes Trail, you’d need to have a car parked on either end. As a result, most people skip this highlight. But the shuttle can drop you off on one side and pick you up on the other. They can also drop you at trailheads near the visitor center so you can experiene terrific trails like Mt. Healy Overlook, Horseshoe Lake, or Rock Creek.
You’ll ride aboard a 14-passenger van, which has a luggage trailer that can accommodate 2 bags per person; there’s also space for bicycles (just let them know in advance if you have one).
Reservations are recommended, as this popular service can fill up.
Sheep Shuttle Stops
- Carlo Creek: Includes Denali Hostel & Cabins, Carlo Creek Cabins, Creekside Cabins, and The Perch.
- Denali Cabins: Pick-up / Drop-off Point for Park Connection Bus which provides transportation between Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage, and Seward.
- Miner's Plaza: Denali Park Village Resort, Denali Grizzly Bear Resort, Triple Lakes and Oxbow trailheads.
- Canyon Gas Station: Denali Boardwalk area with shops, restaurants, and tour operator offices, as well as larger hotels.
- Denali Bus Depot: Access to Denali National Park bus tours, transit busses, and the free Savage River Shuttle into the park.
- Denali Visitor Center: Across the street from the Denali Train Depot, luggage storage, Morino Grill, trails, Dog Demo shuttles, as well as the free Savage River Shuttle.
Transportation from lodges south of the Denali Park Entrance to the Park Entrance, train depot, bus depot, and Canyon area shops and restaurants. Schedule times are approximate. Shuttle only stops if there is a reservation.
|7:00 AM||9:00 AM||11:00 AM||3:00 PM|
|7:00am Carlo Creek||9:00am Carlo Creek||11:00am Carlo Creek||3:00pm Carlo Creek|
|7:10am Denali Cabins||9:20am Miner’s Plaza||11:30am Denali Train Depot||3:10pm Miner’s Plaza|
|7:20am Miner’s Plaza||9:30am Canyon Gas Station||11:40am Denali Bus Depot||3:30pm Canyon Gas Station|
|7:30am Canyon Gas Station||9:40am Denali Bus Depot||11:40am Denali Bus Depot||3:45pm Denali Visitor Center|
|7:40am Denali Bus Depot||9:45am Denali Visitor Center||11:45am Canyon Gas Station|
|7:45 Denali Visitor Center|
- Choose the 7:10am Denali Cabin stop to meet the Park Connection Bus heading south.
- The 11:30am Denali Train Depot stop is the latest option for catching the train going to Anchorage or Fairbanks
- If you’re staying south of the Park, opt for the 3:30 Carlo Creek or 3:40 Miner’s Plaza pick-up to head to the boardwalk for shopping and dining. You’ll catch the 8pm shuttle back.
Transportation from the Denali Park Entrance, train depot, bus depot, and Canyon area shops and restaurants to lodges south of the Park Entrance. Schedule times are approximate. Shuttle only stops if there is a reservation.
|4:00 PM||6:00 PM||8:00 PM|
|4:30 – 5pm Denali Train Depot||6:00pm Canyon Gas Station||8:00pm Canyon Gas Station|
|4:40 – 5:10pm Denali Bus Station||6:10pm Denali Bus Depot||8:10pm Denali Bus Depot|
|4:45 – 5:15pm Canyon Gas Station||6:15pm Denali Visitor Center||8:15pm Denali Visitor Center|
|5:00 – 5:30pm Miner’s Plaza||6:25pm Miner’s Plaza||8:25pm Miner’s Plaza|
|5:15 – 5:45pm Carlo Creek||6:40pm Carlo Creek||8:30pm Denali Cabins|
|8:45pm Carlo Creek|
- The 4pm Shuttle route is to pick up guests arriving on the train from Anchorage. The shuttle will wait for all guests with a reservation even if the train is late. Subsequent pick-up and drop-off times will depend on the train’s arrival time.
- If arriving from Seward, Anchorage, or Talkeetna by Park Connection Motorcoach Park to Park service, you’ll be picked up at the 8:30pm Denali Cabins stop.
Prices & Dates
|Season||May 25 – Sept 6|
|Rates||One-Way Shuttle Service // $30 per adult; $15 one-way for kids 15 years and younger|
|Rate Notes||Cancellation Policy // Full refund if canceled 12 or more hours in advance; no refund after that. No fee for changes.|