New in 2016, Dolly Varden Cabin offers the same recreation opportunities that you’d find while car camping in the Eklutna Campground, but you sleep inside an insulated cabin with a wood burning stove and loads of space. Aimed at people who might want to experience the paddling, biking, hiking and climbing possibilities of the stunning Eklutna Valley, but don’t want to “rough it” or chop wood for heating.
A Home Away From Home
It’s perfect for a large family reunion with bikes ready to explore the friendly network of paths around the Eklutna Campground. For the more adventurous, the cabin is close to the Eklutna trail system and the beach for boat-launching. A home away from home.
A 16-by-20 cabin with sleeping space for 12 in bunks and loft. Handicap accessible. Has a wood burning stove (you supply the firewood). Close to water pump and outhouses of the Eklutna Campground day use area. Cooking space and tables inside. Picnic table and fire ring are outside.
Cooking requires a camp stove. Firewood for campfires can be gathered in the forest, but may be sparse owing to the concentrated use. Consider bringing your own.
What Can You Do At Eklutna Lake Dolly Varden Cabin?
- Hike the Bold Peak trail to the alpine zone.
- Bike the extensive trail system, offering a mostly flat, family-friendly route deep within the park. Or stick to the campground loops: great for kids.
- Paddle around the eight-mile-long glacier-fed lake.
- Explore the campground with hikes to the Eklutna Dam and its spillway.
- Use ATVs or snowmobiles when the trail is opened to their use.
- Enjoy a campground setting with an evening campfire.