Built in 1939 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Wonder Lake historic ranger station was built to serve as quarters at the west end of the road. Today it primarilly serves visitors. The Park staff use additional structures for summer housing. The compact site has individual ranger bunkhouses, a headquarters building, a shop, a pump shed, and a few other miscellaneous small structures. Eight Park rangers are on site from mid-May to mid-September when the weather is less harsh.