Across the street, the Skagway Customs building was built by the WP&YR railroad and leased to the government. It originally sat on the south side of 2nd Ave. adjacent to the railroad depot. In 1969, with the construction of the new depot, the building was moved across the street to the north side 2nd Ave. After the Klondike highway opened in the fall of 1978, the offices were moved to a location on the highway. For a time after the customs staff left, the building was used as the United Transportation Union Local 1787 meeting hall, and later as a retail store. It was moved to its present location on October 1, 2004.
Attention Hikers! The mountains above Skagway are well worth a visit. A network of trails begins just ahead. A popular short hike leads to Lower Dewey Lake, a beautiful, quiet sanctuary. Trails also lead to Upper Reid Falls, Sturgill's Landing and Upper Dewey Lake. Lower Dewey Lake is half a mile away; other points of interest are within four miles of town. To reach the trailhead from the corner of 4th and Spring, just go toward the mountain until you reach a foot bridge across Pullen Creek. The trail itself begins just beyond the railroad tracks. The Skagway Trail Map is available at the Skagway Visitor Information Center, the National Park Service Visitor Center and at the trailhead.