Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 20 min
- 1 can (14.75 oz.) or 2 cans (7.5 oz. each) traditional pack Alaska salmon OR 8 to 10 oz. skinless, boneless salmon (canned or pouched)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 3 cups skim milk
- 2 cups (8 oz.) frozen hash brown potatoes with peppers and onions (O’Brien style)
- 1 can (8 oz.) drained or 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper or pepper blend seasoning
- 1/4 cup bacon bits, divided
- 2 Tablespoons sherry, if desired
- Drain salmon, reserving liquid; discard skin and bones (if any). Break salmon into chunks, set aside.
- Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add milk and salmon liquid, bring to a low boil. Stir in potatoes, corn, seasonings, and 2 tablespoons bacon bits. Return to simmer, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in salmon and sherry, if desired; heat through.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with remaining bacon bits.
- Spicy Variation: Add Cajun or Southwest seasoning or red pepper flakes to taste.
Nutrients per serving: 393 calories, 11g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 26% of calories from fat, 74mg cholesterol, 34g protein, 39g carbohydrate, 3.5g fiber, 1314mg sodium, 505mg calcium and 1850mg omega-3 fatty acids.