Prep Time: 30 min
- 2 lbs. Alaska Crab legs (King, Snow or Dungeness), thawed if necessary
- 1 large or 2 small Ruby Red grapefruit
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 small head Belgian endive
- 1 avocado
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice concentrate
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup salad oil or light olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch cayenne
- Make the vinaigrette first: In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. You can make the vinaigrette up to 3 days in advance.
- Using kitchen shears, cut Alaska crab shells open and remove crabmeat from shells. Chop or shred meat, if desired.
- Cut the peel and all the white pith from the grapefruit, exposing the flesh. With a small paring knife, cut out the grapefruit segments and place in a bowl; set aside.
- Wash the butter lettuce and spin dry. Use mainly the inner leaves of the butter lettuce, tearing larger leaves into bite-sized pieces if necessary. Cut the "root" end off the Belgian endive, then peel off each leaf. Arrange the leaves in a stack and cut them in half lengthwise. Cut the avocado in quarters; peel and slice thinly.
- Toss the lettuce and endive with half of the vinaigrette. Divide between 4 oversized dinner plates, placing the greens in high mounds and pulling some endive pieces to the top. Divide the avocado slices and grapefruit segments on top of each salad. Divide the crabmeat between salads then sprinkle salad with toasted almonds and pomegranate seeds. Pass the remaining salad dressing to drizzle over the top of the crab. Serve immediately.
- Cook's tip: This salad is geared toward the fall and winter, with the inclusion of Ruby Red grapefruit and pomegranate. For a wonderful summer version, replace the grapefruit with 2 oranges and the pomegranates with raspberries or blackberries that have been cut in half.
Nutrients per serving (with Alaska King Crab): 593 calories, 33g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 50% calories from fat, 95mg cholesterol, 48g protein, 28g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 2140mg sodium, 229mg calcium and 460mg omega-3 fatty acids.