Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
- 1 quart (32 oz.) vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons adobo seasoning (found in Mexican section of grocery stores)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons canned diced jalapeños or 1 small fresh jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 4 Alaska Cod fillets (4 oz. each), fresh, thawed or frozen
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
- 4 oz. (1 cup) bell peppers, slivered
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Ingredients for Dressing (if desired, for salad):
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large (12-inch) nonstick pan or stockpot, cook vegetable broth, adobo seasoning, cumin, oregano, garlic and jalapeños over medium heat for 2 to 4 minutes. Rinse any ice glaze from frozen Alaska Cod fillets under cold water. Turn off heat and gently add seafood to liquid, skin side down. Return heat to a simmer.
- Once simmering, cover pan and cook 4 to 5 minutes for frozen seafood or 2 minutes for fresh/thawed fish. Turn off heat and let seafood rest 5 minutes or until seafood is opaque throughout. Remove fish; cover and keep warm.
- In a separate bowl, combine black beans, corn, bell pepper and cilantro. Blend dressing ingredients; pour over vegetables and stir gently. Serve seafood portions with black bean salad.
Nutrients per serving: 316 calories, 6g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 17% calories from fat, 42mg cholesterol, 28g protein, 36g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 2897 sodium, 72mg calcium, and 600mg omega-3 fatty acids.