Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 min
- 1 can (14.75 oz.) or 2 cans (7.5 oz. each) traditional pack Alaska salmon OR 8 to 10 oz. skinless, boneless salmon (canned or pouched)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup thick barbecue sauce
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs (about 2 slices of bread)
- 4 cheese slices, if desired
- 4 hamburger buns or rolls
- Drain salmon thoroughly, squeezing out excess moisture. In bowl, flake salmon with fork. Add egg, onion, barbecue sauce and bread crumbs. Blend thoroughly until mixture is almost smooth.
- Divide and form mixture into 4 patties. Preheat broiler/oven or grill to medium-high heat. Place patties on spray-coated broiling pan or well-oiled perforated grill rack, set 4 to 5 inches from heat. Cook about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Add cheese slices, if desired. Serve on buns or rolls.
- Cook’s tip: For Hawaiian salmon burgers, substitute teriyaki sauce for barbecue sauce, and top with grilled pineapple slices.
Nutrients per serving: 488 calories, 18g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 34% of calories from fat, 130mg cholesterol, 34g protein, 45g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 1496mg sodium, 484mg calcium and 1900mg omega-3 fatty acids.