Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10 min
- 12 to 16 oz. Alaska Crabmeat (from 2 to 3 pounds of Alaska King, Snow or Dungeness crab)
- 4 red bell peppers OR 10 to 12 oz. bottled roasted red peppers
- 1 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 cups grated Queso Oaxaca or Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 small (6 to 7-inch) tortillas, warmed
- Favorite hot sauce, if desired
- Rinse frozen Alaska Crab legs under cold running water to remove any ice glaze; pat dry with paper towels. Discard towels. Steam or boil frozen crab in a large pot for 6 to 8 minutes, until heated through. When cool, use kitchen shears to cut the shells open and remove crabmeat. Chop or shred meat, if desired.
- Over an open flame (grill or cooktop), roast bell peppers until blackened. Cool slightly; rub off skin with a paper towel (or place in a paper bag for 5 minutes for skin to soften). Seed and thinly slice peppers.
- Mix crema, cilantro and lime juice together in a small bowl; set aside.
- To serve, divide red pepper strips, cheese and crabmeat between tortillas. Top with 2 tablespoons crema mixture. Serve with your favorite hot sauce, if desired.
- Cook’s tip: Alaska Crab is already fully cooked, so thawed crab legs may be shelled without steaming or boiling.
Nutrients per serving (2 tacos): 622 calories, 33g total fat, 18g saturated fat, 48% calories from fat, 42g protein, 147mg cholesterol, 40g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 1130mg sodium, 613mg calcium, and 530mg omega-3 fatty acids.