Originally constructed by the Alaska Road Commission in 1924-1925, the Savage cabin and interpretive trails are now used as part of living history presentations in the summer months. During the winter the cabin become strictly utilitarian by providing shelter for patrols.
A small cabin is visible down the embankment on the south side of the road.
Common Question: Who lives in that cabin? Answer: No one. This is an historical cabin, the same structure used in the 1930s by famous biologist Adolf Murie.(he used many others too) Sometimes park rangers or researchers stay there while studying wildlife in the park. This year, the park’s More...
Harry Karstens was the first ranger of Denali National Park. He arrived in early summer 1921, and established his headquarters on the northwest bank of Riley Creek, an ideal spot for monitoring visitors using the trail leading into the park. In 1925, the headquarters moved to it's current location at mile 3.4 of the Denali Park Road.