Make Your Stay Even Better
- Stock up. Always bring extra food and water, in case you can’t leave when planned, due to weather.
- Clean up after yourself. Sweep out the cabin before you leave and don’t leave trash lying around.
- Don’t attract bears. Clean your fish away from the cabin and don’t leave food scraps outside.
- Bring a Spot or satellite phone. Always be in a position where you can initiate an early pickup or rescue. Even a small injury can turn into a big problem in the wilderness.
- Think small during winter. Choose a smaller-sized cabin: they’re easier to heat and keep warm. Another trick: Before going to bed, gather a pile of wood next to the stove so you refill the stove in the middle of the night; it won’t be as cold in the morning.
- Leave the cabin fire-ready. Before you leave—especially during colder months—gather a pile of kindling and firewood next to the stove. If someone stumbles across the cabin in trouble, it can save their life.