The Matanuska State Park is the best place for a free view of the Matanuska Glacier. You won’t be able to walk up to the glacier (that’s at Mile 102 and is $30 per person), but this well-developed site (wihch is also connected to the nearby RV Park) offers plenty of parking, public restrooms, and excellent glacier views and photo opportunities. You'll also find:
- A half-dozen interpretive signs about glaciers, ice creatures, spruce bark beetles.
- Great viewpoints with telescopes.
- A picnic pavilion plus more picnic tables that are well spread-out across the site.
- Gravel and paved walkways, some of which are handicap accessible
- Access to an easy one-mile hiking trail called the "Edge Nature Trail."
- Tent camping and a cabin for rent. For more details on the cabin, call 907-745-5151.
Tip: Looking for a little solitude? Walk 50 yards to the far west along the gravel trail. You'll find two benches situated on a raised wooden deck in the woods.
Head north from Anchorage on the Glenn Highway. At mile 101, is the pull off for the state park
101 miles north of Anchorage
30 minutes to 1 hour