This pedestrian-bicycle bridge connects the north bank near Doyon, Limited to the south bank of the Chena River adjacent to the Alaska State Court House as part of the Chena River Pathway system. The bridge’s namesake, the late Dr. William Ransom Wood, came to Alaska with his family in 1960 to serve as the fourth president of the University of Alaska. Wood continued to serve the More...
Surprise! This bridge over the Susitna River appears without warning, so if you want to stop and see this huge drainage, slow down and pull off the road at either end. Alaskans call it the Big Su. We fish it, paddle it, and snow machine its frozen braids. Bush pilots even navigate by this river.
The Susitna River winds its way over 313 miles of Southcentral Alaska; this old More...
This unique bridge spans 110-foot over Moore Creek Gorge. Named for Captain William Moore, a pilot, prospector, packer, trader and riverboat captain. He played an important role in the founding of Skagway and helped pioneer the route over White Pass. Captain Moore was one of the first people to realize the potential for a railroad over the pass.
This 1255-foot-long bridge has reserved its place in history by being America's first cable-stayed girder spanned bridge. Today, it connects Sitka, on Baranof Island, to the town's airport, which is on Japonski Island. Finished in 1972, it was named after a former mayor of Sitka.
Rock Creek is the first of many waterways that the Denali Park Road crosses. In constrast to many glacial fed rivers, Rock Creek is contained in a defined channel at this point. Just upstream of the bridge is C Camp, a maintenance site for the area that has had ongoing clean-up efforts to contain and dispose of contaminated soil.
For many, crossing the Kuskulana Bridge is the most nerve-racking part of their drive down McCarthy Road. Mentally prepare yourself to drive across this old single-lane railroad bridge 238 feet above the raging Kuskulana River! The Kuskulana bridge was built during the winter of 1910. You will see for yourself what a remarkable achievement this was.
Veterans’ Memorial Bridge opened with fanfare in November of 2012. A procession of antique cars borrowed from the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum and private collections were the first wheels to cross the bridge, keeping in the tradition of historic bridge openings in Fairbanks. Veterans from Fairbanks marched in step and presented the colors at the mid-way point. Local, state, and federal dignitaries were on hand for the event and the ADOT&PF won a publicity award from the National Association of Government Communicators for the bridge opening and ceremony.
Arctic grayling, northern pike and dolly varden are common in the Ogilvie River.
William Ogilvie was a prominent Canadian land surveyor who began working in the Yukon in the summer of 1887. His first task was to determine the location of the boundary between Canada and Alaska at the Yukon River.
Look closely in the limestone outcroppings to the northeast of the bridge, and you will spot fragments of fossil coral. This limestone was formed on the floor of a shallow sea about 400 million years ago. Pieces of a coral reef, broken by storm waves, came to rest in the soft lime mud. They eventually turned to rock and were uplifted into folded mountains about 150 million years More...
All 50 states are represented by their state flag on this concrete and steel bridge built in 1917. Festival Fairbanks, Inc. and the Downtown Association of Fairbanks, both local community organizations, raised the flags to commemorate Alaska’s 25th year of statehood in 1984. The first bridges in that location were temporary wooden constructions that were destroyed every year by More...
It's not just floods and avalanches that shut down remote roads in Alaska. In this case, a bridge was heavily damaged by a rogue trucker with an over weight load! According to local legend, after nearly destroying the bridge, the (alleged) culprit drove away and was never seen again.
At Milepost 67 Taylor Highway you will find the Chicken Creek Bridge. This is the site of a dredge that was operated by the Fairbanks Exploration Company from 1959 until 1965. In an average run of the dredge, it was operating 24 hours a day for 2 weeks. At it's peak, one run would bring in $40,000 in gold.