Leave the big city behind in search of a peaceful backcountry exploration. Riding Alaska ATV Tours is a locally-owned business focused on an authentic Alaskan experience. Owner Jim Kolb is your guide, promising an informal and relaxing get-away just 40 minutes from Anchorage.
Only available on Sundays, the 3.5-hour tour takes you deep into Chugach State Park and showcases the wonders of the glacially-fed Eklutna Lake area, a local favorite. Perfect for family outings, your fully-guided ATV tour traverses 7 miles along the lake and 5 miles beyond – across gravel moraines, over rushing rivers and through woodlands, to within sight of Ekultna glacier itself. And then you get to come back and see it all from another perspective!
Sit back and relax as Jim does all driving, stopping for photo opps along the way at gorgeous waterfalls, incredible scenic views, and of course – when there’s wildlife. You’ll keep a close lookout for brown and black bear, mountain goats, moose, and Dall sheep. You’re treated like family, with a timetable that allows for 2.5 hours on the ATV and stops that cater to your preferences. Want to spend more time taking in the glacier views? Want to enjoy a snack and water lakeside toward the end of the tour? The informal nature of this tour takes your needs into account and makes for a truly relaxing and enjoyable outing into Alaska’s backcountry.
A second option is available for the more adventurous traveler is to pilot your own ATV on the tour. This is a great opportunity for the novice riders and still lot's of fun for experienced riders. You must be 16 years of age and older to drive the ATV's and can book separately or in conjunction with the Guide Driven tour.
- Riding Alaska ATV Tours are a great way to entertain visiting family, or to break up a day trip, since it’s located so close to Anchorage. The half-day adventure is easy to fit in to a packed schedule and is always a winner: relaxing and peaceful, featuring a variety of wildlife viewing opportunities and a landscape that changes from reflective lakeside, to rivers and finally a glacier view.
- Snacks and water are provided, but you can bring along your own stash: a small lunchbox-size bag and a plastic container beverage (water bottle, soda, no alcohol).
- Up to five passengers can ride at once, so bring the whole family! The 24-mile round-trip route is fairly flat, and is a smooth ride appropriate for both young and old. (Children 5 and up are welcome).
- Availability is limited to Sundays only, so book early. You can choose between morning and afternoon departures.
- Eklutna Lake area is gorgeous no matter rain or shine, so be prepared with rain gear.
- Make it a day! Once you see this beautiful gem, you’ll understand why Eklutna is a local favorite. You can easily spend a full day or even two here, with other opportunities for adventure: rent a kayak or canoe, stay overnight in a public use cabin, and explore more of the hiking trails.
- The meeting point for this tour is the Eklutna Lake trailhead, so you’ll need a car to get there. Parking is $5, which is included in the cost of your tour.
- Your tour starts with a safety briefing covering the ATV ride and wildlife safety tips. Helmets are provided.
About Riding Alaska ATV Tours
A former Marine, Jim Kolb knows all about adventure. His company, Riding Alaska ATV Tours, showcases a favorite activity of many Alaskans who live and play in the 49th state. With 15 years riding experience, Jim loves nothing more than exploring Alaska’s backcountry trails and sharing them with others. After moving to Alaska in 2012, friends and family would frequently visit, saying his informal ATV tours were more fun and relaxing than other popular tourist activities. That convinced Jim to make the experience more widely available to visitors, especially couples or families in search of an affordable way to spend a half-day in a beautiful Alaskan setting.