Experience world-class fly fishing in a gorgeous, remote area—without the high cost. Seldom-fished areas are normally expensive and only accessible by plane, but Keen Eye Anglers can take you to prime fishing spots along the road-accessible Upper Kenai River, just a two-hour drive from Anchorage.
Shove off from shore and drift into the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, a stunning wilderness of glacially carved mountains, emerald lakes, healthy forests, and fish-filled rivers. Cast for sockeye salmon, rainbow trout, or Dolly Varden, and learn the tricks from consummate fly fisherman Kyle Kolodziejski. Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, Kyle will lead you to the Alaska fly fishing trip of your dreams without the expense or logistics required for fly-in trips!
Kyle has guided on the Upper Kenai since 2000, and he’s out there every day because he loves to fish. (His young son is named Fischer!) He’s traveled the world fly fishing, but settled next to the Kenai River because it’s hard to find a better trout or salmon stream anywhere in the state. An expert angler and teacher, Kyle is also a trained geologist with a strong natural history background. So as you float silently down the river, you’ll learn about salmon lifecycles, geology, and surrounding scenery and wildlife.
Trips are limited to a maximum of four anglers, and Kyle will cut a deal if you want a private, customized tour. June 11 (Upper Kenai fishing opener) through early July and mid-July through early August are the best time for Sockeye Salmon fishing, while August through mid-October is an excellent time for catch and release rainbow trout and Dolly Varden. Kyle will fillet your fish and can arrange for them to be shipped home for you. Kyle’s trips are perfect for families looking for a well-rounded Alaskan fishing experience. Although Kyle can cater to serious fisherman he also realizes trips down the Upper Kenai are not just about fishing its about the complete experience of spending time on the water and soaking in all that it has to offer.
Kyle’s trips include top-of-the-line fishing gear, waders, and full-lunch. His lunch offerings are over the top—including deli-style sandwiches and assorted snacks, along with hot and cold beverages. You won’t go hungry.
After you’ve drifted along the Kenai, the trip ends with an hour-long motorboat ride across Skilak Lake where you can reminisce about the big hits, the fish landed, and the ones that got away. While cruising across the lake enjoy views of glacial-carved mountains, breath-taking scenery, and volcanic peaks. It’s the perfect ending to a perfect day.
- 8-10 hours of professionally guided fishing and instruction
- full-lunch, snacks, and beverages
- fishing gear and waders provided
What to bring (recommendations)
- Fishing License (must have!)
- Warm Layers
- Rain Gear
- Meeting location and time will be determined at time of booking.
- Payment - Reservations made more than 14 days prior to trip date require a 50% deposit. The remaining balance is due on the date of the trip. Reservations made within 14 days of the trip date require full payment at the time of booking. Payments accepted via cash, check, or credit card.
- Cancellation Policy - Cancellations made more than 14 days prior to trip date will be fully refunded. Cancellations made with 14 days of trip date will be 100% non-refundable. Request for changes of dates will be accommodated based on availability, but are not guaranteed.